This is a recipe from my mom. It was always a favorite when we were all kids and it remains a favorite when we all get together.
1/2 C Shortening (or oil)
1 1/2 C Sugar
2 C Flour
1 t Salt
3 T Cocoa
1 t Baking Soda
2 C Applesauce
1/2 T Cinnamon
6 oz Chocolate Chips
1 C milk
1 C powdered sugar
- Mix shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa, baking soda.
- Add applesauce and cinnamon.
- Pour into a greased/floured 8x10 pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Pour glaze over cake while still hot.