I found this on allrecipes.com and it is really simple and oh so good. Phil loved it!
1/2 C water
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed*
1 C diced white onion
1/4 C butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and black pepper to taste
*to trim asparagus, snap the lower segment off (kind of like snapping beans)
- Pour into a skillet. Place asparagus and ionion in the skillet.
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover skillet and steam asparagus and onion 2-5 minutes, just until slightly tender. (Add a few tablespoons of extra water, if needed, to maintain steam.)
- When water has steamed off, immediately place butter in skillet. Continue cooking until onions and asparagus are lightly browned.
- Mix in garlic and continue cooking at 30 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.