This is a recipe that Phil has wanted me to try. He got it from his mom who got it from our SIL. It was easy and delicious! You could use it for a side dish in a big Mexican meal or you could (as we did) just use it as a main dish.
6 Slices of Bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1 med. Onion (chopped)
1 sm. Green Pepper (chopped)
2-8 oz. Cans of Stewed Tomatoes (diced) (I only had 14.5 oz. cans so I just used one of those)
1 C Water
3/4 C Rice (uncooked)
1 T Brown Sugar
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 t Chili Powder
1/8 t Black Pepper
1/2 C Grated Cheddar Cheese (don't add until the end)
- Cook the bacon in a large frying pan.
- Remove the bacon from the pan but save 2 T of the drippings in the pan.
- Saute the onions and green peppers in the bacon grease until they are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (include the juices from the tomatoes).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon bits and grated cheddar cheese.